Sunday, July 3, 2011

things i've learned from leadershipnow 2011

I've been part of LeadershipNow since 2007 when I attended the Academy. 

In 2008, I traveled to South Africa and Lesotho with them.
In 2009, I worked as a peer mentor for the first time.

LeadershipNow has shaped the person I am today. I could go on and on about how much the program has done for me. I would not be the young woman I am today without it. This summer, I worked as a peer mentor again. I was so excited to be spending two weeks with some of my closest friends. There is nothing like building and shaping a community around God at a place I love with people I love. It is pure happiness. Here are some things I learned or was reminded of these past two weeks. Some of them are funny, some are serious...and some are just in between.

1. Teamwork don't seem work.
2. If you hold expectations for people, they will live up to them. If you think they will fail, in your mind they will. If you think they will do great, in your mind they have.
3. Preconceived notions about people are not always true. Sometimes they do step up to the plate and do a fabulous job.
4. After a stressful week with lack of sleep, stupid pranks can make the heart and soul better.
5. Watching a person experience God or the Holy is very powerful.
6. Fourteen year olds can be very profound, intelligent and passionate. Give them a chance and listen to them talk.
7. Inception cookies are probably the best things ever.
8. It is okay to be affirmed. You are not selfish or a doubter if you struggle with it. Sometimes what people see in you is what you struggle with the most.
9. People that struggle with a community socially sometimes find it the safest place they have ever been a part of.
10. When you open your eyes, take deep breaths and listen, you will hear and see things you would of never seen before.
11. It is okay to take a break when you need a break.
12. Every person struggles and has their own wounds. Take from them what you can and give to them what you can.
13. This is from Jacquie but I love it. You can love people, you can lead people, but you can't always change people. Sometimes people can only change themselves.
14. What you put into something is what you get out of it.
15. Eating Oreos for breakfast is sometimes the best thing you can do to end a special week.

I'll probably be posting more about these past two weeks as I continue to process them. It has been a time full of stress, love, eating, fun and God. What more could I of asked for?

1 comment: